Monday, January 12, 2009

Stranger in Your Soul

Genre: Progessive Rock
Artist: Transatlantic
Album: Bridge Across Forever

Although this song is literally a half hour long, the first time I listened to it I was so overcome that I listened to it four times in a row. Yes, two straight hours of the same song. This song is total brilliance! First of all, Transatlantic is a combination of four of the greatest progressive rock artists (ok, maybe with the exception of Pete Trewavas. You can't be a brilliant artist and play for Marillion). Neal Morse wrote the bulk of the song and Mike Portnoy enhances it with his incomparable drumming. Of course, Roine Stolt's guitar playing is downright amazing.

What made me listen to this song 4 times in a row, however, is the message of the song. It is about someone who feels lost, alone, and keeps looking in his past for an answer. Constantly he is reminded to stop looking behind and look inside him to discover who he really is. Towards the middle of the song, the person finally experiences the sweet freedom of discovering the "stranger in his soul." Suddenly everything changes. It isn't easy, but there, underneath the pain and loneliness, he finds that stranger reaching outward. The song states that all of us are that way and we must awaken that stranger inside of us and discover who we really are. It's so beautiful and the ending always gives me chills.

In my own life, I went through a period of a couple years where I also was searching for who I am. I felt completely alone inside, even though I was surrounded by people constantly. Then, when I went to Nauvoo for a semester, I found that freedom. I realized, to a small degree, what my divine potential is. I heard this song later that year and immediately connected with it.