Monday, January 12, 2009

Cradle to the Grave

Genre: Progressive Rock
Artist: Neal Morse
Album: One

I have shared this song with a few friends and most of them responded by telling me they thought it was very depressing. I was absolutely shocked. To me, this song is a piece of heaven. It's about five minutes long and it is dialogue between fallen man and God. Before I explain the song, I need to explain the context. The album One is a concept album that begins with the creation and the unity man had with God in the Garden of Eden. It then proceeds with the fall and follows the account of a common, fallen man that tries to do things by himself. Eventually, he realizes he can't do it alone and looks to God for help. God replies by telling the man that He will send His Son to save him. In the end, through Jesus Christ, we can all become one with God again.

This song takes place once the man realizes that he can't do it alone. In the song, he longs to be back with God again and be received by Him. Sadly, he concludes that he has done so much that God couldn't possibly care for him anymore. But as soon as he comes to this conclusion, God says, "No, my son. You don't understand. I want to help you, but you have to come to me first. I want to be reconciled so badly!" And at the very moment when the man cries out his desire to be with God again, God replies, "Child, how I love you! Won't you come home to me? I'll give you my robe and clothe you in linen! I want you to stay! I'll set you free!"

This song is so beautiful to me because it illustrates God's eternal love for His children. Even when we have strayed far from the path, He is still there watching and waiting for us to start to come back. When we do, He will run to meet us and give us His best robe and welcome us home. This song is a reminder to me whenever I feel especially aware of my fallen nature that the Lord is always there, ready to extend His forgiveness. On my darkest days, this song fills me with hope and comfort.