Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Outside Looking In

Genre: Progressive Rock
Artist: Neal Morse
Album: ? (Yes, "Question Mark" is the name of the album)

This song is very sad in nature. It talks about the outcasts during the time of the Law of Moses: the crippled, the lepers, the sinners. They are the ones called "second-rate, the last in line." During the ? album, Neal describes the glory of the House of the Lord. In this song, he focuses on the ones outside the gate. They long to enter the temple, but cannot and so are stuck "outside looking in." They wish to join everybody that seems so happy. The happy people seem so beautiful, but the outsiders feel ugly and unloved.

Have you ever experienced a day like that? Have you ever looked around you to see smiling faces and then looked at yourself and asked, "what's my problem?" Do you ever feel unnoticed? "Nobody sees the ones outside looking in." I have. I have felt that "everything that I touch seems to turn out wrong." My heart has also longed to belong somewhere. I have wanted to join the crowds of people that "make it seem easy to love and be happy."

However, I have learned an important lesson in my life. Everybody has trials. Everybody has fears, disappointments, heavy burdens, and tears hidden inside. They overcome these by working together. That is the key to not being an outsider--you must become an insider. That is one of the best things about the Church, it is a support group that consists of about 13 million members. Read my entries about Entrance and Inside His Presence to hear the rest of the story.