Thursday, January 15, 2009

Bring Him Home

Genre: Broadway Musical
Artist: Music and lyrics by Alain Boublil, Claude-Michel Schönberg, and Herbert Kretzmer
Album: Les Miserables soundtrack

This is actually the song that introduced me to Les Miserables. When my older brother Danny went to Afghanistan my aunt Dee created a tape of "soldier songs" for my mom. This song was included. It is a prayer that Valjean says for Marius, who he discovers is the true love of his daughter Cosette. He tells the Lord that he is even willing to give his life for Marius, so long as the Lord will protect the young boy.

Not only is this a very heartfelt song with a great demonstration of vocal talent, but it was also quoted by President Thomas S. Monson a few years ago during the Priesthood session of General Conference. President Monson talked about our need to bring home to the fold those who have wandered or are lost.

President Monson's message, along with the message of the song really hit home to me about halfway through my mission in Brazil. I found out that a member of one of my favorite families had gone in-active and had started using drugs. I was crushed. I wanted to do something so badly, but I couldn't. I didn't even work in the area anymore. As I thought one day about how much I wanted to do something, this song came into my head. There was nothing I could do, but God could. This young man was in a battle much worse than the insurrection in Paris where Valjean finds Marius. Every time I listen to this song I say a silent prayer of my own for another young man far off in another country that is fighting a battle of his own.