Monday, January 19, 2009

Reflection

Genre: Disney
Artist: Music by Matthew Wilder and Lyrics by David Zippel
Album: Mulan soundtrack

Ok, it's probably really weird that a guy would like this song so much. But I do! If I sing the lyrics out loud I substitute "I will never pass for a perfect bride or a perfect daughter" with "I will never pass for a perfect son or a perfect father." See? Now it fits my gender perfectly!

The real reason I love this song, though, is because sometimes I like to stop and reflect who I am. I guess it's the same feeling that I have for the song "Stranger in Your Soul" that I talked about first on this blog. Sometimes I feel like my life has been scripted out for me. People all around me have their expectations of what they want me to be, but very rarely do I get to be who I feel I truly am. It's the hardest when I have my own dreams and expectations for myself and they don't work out. There are days when I come home from work and look in the mirror and I can see how unhappy I am. I feel like I am working and studying so hard that I am turning into a machine. I don't want to be this way. I want to let my true self shine. I want my true self to easily be reflected. I want other people to recognize and appreciate me for who I really am.