Wednesday, January 14, 2009

The Impossible Dream

Genre: Broadway Musical
Artist: Lyrics and music by Joe Darion and Mitch Leigh
Album: Man of La Mancha soundtrack

"The Impossible Dream" is subtitled "The Quest." Indeed, I feel that it is my own quest. I have a strong desire to make a difference in the world, to change it for the better. This song is about a man who is determined to make the world a better place, firmly believing he can do so, even when all seems hopeless. Whether he rushes into battle or loves "pure and chaste from afar," he is making a difference.

In other songs from this musical, Don Quixote's attributes also show. He gives when it's natural to take, he sees good where nobody else can, and he tries to be what others think is impossible. He is accused of living in a world that can't exist, and yet still he pursues. Though eccentric, weird, and downright crazy, he actually does change the life of one person, who will certainly go on to change the life of another. Such is my quest.

At the end of the musical, Don Quixote is in a coma-like state. He is revived back into reality by the one person he changes: his Dulcinea. When she reminds him of his quest, he gets back on his feet and demands his sword and armor. He is told that he is not well and he firmly replies, "What is sickness to the body of a knight-errant? What matter wounds? For each time he falls he shall rise again!" Yes, the fight seems hopeless at times. Yes, I get discouraged at times. But all I need is someone to remind me of my own quest, and once again I am ready to march through my own dream, my impossible dream. I continue reaching for that unreachable star and fighting for the right without question or pause.