Thursday, January 15, 2009

Go the Distance

Genre: Disney
Artist: Music and Lyrics by Alan Menken and David Zippel
Album: Hercules soundtrack

I, too, have often dreamed of a place far away where I would be hailed as a hero. I wanted to hear a voice tell me, "This is where I'm meant to be." I've had this dream nearly all my life and I finally realized it in August, 2007. I went back to Brazil to visit the people I taught and came to love. I went back to my favorite place: Jundiapeba. There, I did an activity with the members of the Church. Unbeknownst to me, they prepared something for me as well.

The youth performed several dance numbers for me with some great talent and special effects. Many of the adults performed another song that was downright amazing. Then the bishop invited me to the front and sang a song to me about how my friendship influenced everybody there. He then invited me to say a few words. I could barely say more than "thank you." I felt like I finally found the place where I belong. Then, just to completely fulfill my dream, several of my friends ran up to where I was and picked me up and threw me in the air three times and gave a cheer for me. Indeed, a found a warm welcome waiting for me and the crowd truly did cheer to see my face.

My heart will always be in Jundiapeba and I hope to return many more times in my life. And yet, though I have fulfilled this dream, I am determined to fulfill it time and time again. There will be other places where I will make a difference. Some may be far off in other countries. I hope others will be no further than the walls of my home. No matter where it is or what the task is, I am determined to go the distance.