Wednesday, January 28, 2009

This is the Moment

Genre: Broadway Musical
Artist: Music and Lyrics by Frank Wildhorn and Leslie Bricusse
Album: Jekyll and Hyde

This song takes me back to the year 2001. I believe the day was December 13th--the day I finished high school. I had been working like a madman, trying to finish all my packets before Christmas Break. There were only two people that knew how close I was: Carrie, my good friend, and Eldon, my favorite teacher of all time. I worked on my packets non-stop. At ALLC, my high school, you had to complete 8 packets to complete one credit. Finally, the moment came. I finished my last project and wrote my last essay. I was ready to take my final test.

I walked behind the school to the soccer field and sang this song to myself. "This is the moment when all I've done, all of the dreaming, scheming, and screaming become one! This is the day: see it sparkle and shine!" It was my first greatest accomplishment! I had made a goal to finish high school a year and a half early, and now I was about to achieve that goal! I was told by almost everyone around me to stop doing so much schoolwork. People told me to be realistic. Only Eldon pushed me to my limit, consistently helping me set goals that stretched me further and further. And I did! "Destiny beckoned! I never reckoned second-best!" What a great moment that was when I entered the theater lab and announced to Eldon that I finished! I went to the lunchroom to tell Carrie. I had Blaine, who was vice-principal at the time, write a letter saying I had officially completed all the requirements for graduation. Then I put that letter in a box and Carrie filled it with all sorts of goodies and wrapped it. On Christmas morning I opened the package and announced to my family, almost two weeks later, that I had completed high school.

I will always remember Eldon. He is the ideal teacher. He corrected me when I needed correcting, but he also helped me realize my full potential. He was present at the graduation ceremony the next summer, where I gave the first speech. I am still very honored to this day that he was there. On my list of people that have had a huge influence on my life, Eldon is high up. He helped me complete what appeared to be a daunting task--even letting me inside the school during Thanksgiving break in order to get everything done. He encouraged me to write a play and helped me through the whole process. He later performed that play.

"When I look back, I will always recall...this was the moment, the greatest moment of them all!"