Sunday, February 22, 2009

Stay With Me

Genre: Broadway Musical
Artist: Lyrics and Music by Stephen Sondheim
Album: Into the Woods

In this song, the witch has caught Rapunzel allowing her prince to visit her in the tower. She, of course, is furious with Rapunzel. But then the story takes a twist as the witch explains why she locked Rapunzel in the tower. She has raised Rapunzel as her own daughter and now is afraid that Rapunzel will leave her forever. She basically asks her what was wrong, was she not handsome enough like the prince was? She sadly states, "I am old. I am ugly. I embarrass you." When Rapunzel protests that she was lonely and wanted to see the world, the witch's heart nearly breaks. "Don't you know what's out there in the world?" she asks. As a witch, she has been shunned and treated poorly by society, making her react the only way she saw fit, by being a "wicked" witch. Basically, the witch wants Rapunzel to protect her innocence.

She tells Rapunzel, "Princes wait there in the world, it's true. Princes, yes, but wolves and humans, too." Yes, there are so many wonderful things out there in the adult world. But there are so many horrible things as well. I have tasted both. I have been through betrayels, heartache, and despair just as I have been through friendships, love, and joy. Referring to these last few things, the witch asks, "Who out there could love you more than I? What out there that I cannot supply? Stay with me. The world is dark and wild. Stay a child while you can be a child with me." But people are so eager to grow up. They shed their innocence, seeking for something new and exciting. I, on the other hand, cling to innocence as much as I can.

The lesson in this song however, reveals that perhaps both Rapunzel AND the witch have the wrong philosophy. Rapunzel wants to leave her home and her family to explore the world. That isn't right. We have families to help us face the world. Yes, people need to have independence, but they should not cut themselves off from those that matter most. As for the witch, she cannot create an Eden for her daughter. We were put on earth to face challenges and endure trials and heartache. It is only by doing so that we can recognize joy, love, and friendship for what they are worth. It is not easy, but it is the best way. All the same, I can sympathize with the witch's plea for Rapunzel to remain a child as long as possible. Once you grow up and face the hardships of life, you wish to prolong those hardships as long as possible for those that you care about. But the fact of the matter is, you cannot shelter anybody. They need to confront the challenges of life. The best thing I can do for those that I care about is to be there as their support. It is not easy to stand on the sidelines and watch a loved one endure a difficult trial. That is perhaps the hardest lesson I have ever been taught in my life. It is a lesson I am still learning.