Sunday, February 15, 2009

As We Go Along

Genre: Rock
Artist: The Monkees
Album: Head

I began to like this song back when I was in high school. There was one night when I couldn't get to sleep. You know the feeling of having a storm inside your head? Everything around you is perfectly still, but you don't notice because such a huge commotion is going on inside. I was feeling like this, listening to my Monkees Anthology on random on my CD player. Suddenly this song came on. It begins very softly (the whole song is very soft, actually). It is very soft and very simple and even the singing is quiet and soothing. As I listened to the words, I began to calm down. "I can tell by your face that you're looking to find a place to settle your mind and reveal who you are." That pretty much described how I was feeling, especially the settling my mind part.

The second verse says, "Why think about who's gonna win out? We'll make up our story as we go along! There's so little time...and so many highways to travel upon..." That part really hit me. Why spend so much time stressing? In fact, by stressing, I was only losing time to do so many other wonderful things! I just had to go and see what happens. People know that I am big on goal-setting and making plans. Sometimes these goals and plans don't work out the way that I want them to. Although it is sometimes very difficult for me to deal with, I just need to make things up as I go. I was going to be a Seminary teacher, but then that plan didn't work out. Why stress out about it? Make up a new story! I'll be a writer now! I shouldn't spend my time stressing about my future. I'll just go for what I want. If it doesn't work out, I'll make a new goal. The key is to keep moving forward.

The chorus says, "Open your mind! Get up off your chair! There's so much to do in the sunlight!" It's true! There is so much out there! There are adventures awaiting me and dreams to be realized! If I spend all my time locked away, I will never discover them for myself.