Monday, February 16, 2009

Reunion

Genre: Progressive Rock
Artist: Neal Morse
Album: One

This song concludes the amazing album. "Now there is no separation!" comes the joyous shout.

"Now the way is open for us,
A sacrifice made to restore us
To bring us back the way we used to be!
As we once were in the garden,
Through His Son He gave the pardon.
Now we can come back as priests and kings!"

Once again, the message of the album is given: only through the Atonement of Jesus Christ can we be one with God again. The prodigal son thought it would be wonderful to be hired as a servant by his father, but instead was recognized as his father's son. Likewise, with us, though we have all sinned and come short of the glory of God, we can return as priests and kings. The Atonement is truly a miracle.

One of the most powerful lessons I learned on my mission is how merciful the Savior is. One night, during the time I worked in the office, I went to my mission president and told him I didn't feel comfortable with a recent decision that was made to baptize someone I felt shouldn't be baptized. My mission president told me, "Elder, when we get to the other side, I think we're going to be amazed at how merciful the Savior is." He then proceeded to tell me a story, which I won't mention here, but it was about an experience he had while serving on the stake High Council. The message of his story was that the Savior doesn't want to punish us to drive us away from Him. He wants us to repent and come back to Him and He will do what He needs to in order to get us to repent. We then started talking about the investigator who was going to be baptized. We talked about his motives were pure and how much he was doing to try to have an eternal family. By the time we finished talking, I felt really good about baptizing this person. It was a lesson that I will never forget. Our Father truly is the Father of Forgiveness. Jesus really can heal us of all suffering and shame. Through Him, our sins can be blotted out and one day we will find ourselves together again with Him. Then we shall be one forever.