Monday, February 16, 2009

Father of Forgiveness

Genre: Progressive Rock
Artist: Neal Morse
Album: One

This song takes place when the man finally begins his return Home. The song begins from the perspective of the Father, using very similar imagery as the parable of the Prodigal Son. He sees the man from a long way off and wonders, "Has he come home to stay?" and all he desires is one thing: "Let's take it back to the beginning!"

Then, when the man finds himself in the Father's embrace, he says, ashamed, "Oh, Father, I've returned. I'm sorry. I was wrong. I feel so undeserving after all I've done. But I see your open arms and I feel your Spirit rise within my chest." Through his tears, the man asks, "Father, what do you want of me?" He wants to offer the Father everything he has, but realizes, "I don't have much to give, but a heart that needs forgiving." And he finds that forgiveness he seeks. To his amazement, he realizes, "You give me Your kingdom, and tell me it's my own!" He concludes, "I know that I have found my place of rest. You're the Father of forgiveness!"

When Jesus was with His apostles in Gethsemane, He found them asleep and warned them, "The spirit is willing, but the flesh is weak." The man switches these two phrases around and says, "The flesh is tired, but the spirit's willing." He is tired, but he is finally willing to repent. And because he does, he discovers the miracle of forgiveness.