Sunday, February 22, 2009

Once Upon a Dream

Genre: Broadway Musical
Artisit: Lyrics and Music by Leslie Bricusse and Frank Wildhorn
Album: Jekyll & Hyde

There are two songs in Jekyll & Hyde with this title. The first is sung by Emma and she recalls the relationship she once had with Jekyll that is now dissipating. The other is sung by Jekyll as he realizes that his dream is being shattered. Both are sung to the same music and are very powerful. In Emma's, she says, "Once upon a dream, I was lost in love's embrace...Once there was a time like no other time before." Then, at the end of the song, she sadly reflects, "Once upon a dream, you were heaven-sent to me. Was it never meant to be? Are you just a dream? Could we begin again?" This song captures the sadness of having lost someone you love. In the play, Jekyll has not included her in what he is doing because he does not want her to know the kind of monster he has become. Little does he realize how much Emma still loves him and wants to be a part of his life. Their relationship even seemed heaven-sent. It was perfect, but now it is fading quickly. I know the feeling all too well.

When Jekyll sings, he recalls his dream: "I conceived a perfect plan that would change the face of man! . . . For it was my dream to create a perfect world! . . . "And I was unafraid. The dream was so enticing! But now I see it fade and I stand here, alone! Once upon a dream, all I had to do was try. Too late now to wonder why it can never be. Could I begin again?" Well, my ambitions are not quite as high as Jekyll's. I am not trying to create a perfect world, but it is my dream to create a better world. I want to change the world in some way for the better. I know I can do that! And yet, all that I have done seems to have come to nothing thus far. It is very discouraging.

What I like about these songs is that they both end on a hopeful note. Emma and Jekyll both had wonderful dreams, and they had never been happier than while wrapped in their dreams. Sadly, both of these dreams were ruined. But they both wonder if they could begin again. That is the hopeful part. Some of my greatest dreams have been shattered, but that does not mean that I will never dream again. I can begin again. I can create new dreams. I am a dreamer and as such I will continue thinking of dreams to pursue. Hopefully, another dream will come true soon.