Sunday, March 1, 2009

The Curse

Genre: Musical
Artist: Music by Kurt Bestor and Sam Cardon, Lyrics by Michael McLean
Album: Rigoletto

I absolutely love this song! Its message is profound and powerful: "There is no curse or evil spell that's worse than one we give ourselves." Bad things happen to us in life, but the worst thing we can do is react poorly to it. A person with a cruel heart is far worse than a person under a curse. "And yet we cry, 'life isn't fair!' Beneath our cries the truth is there: the power that will break this spell...is locked within ourselves." Instead of complaining, I should change my circumstances. Even the scriptures teach that man was created to act and not to acted upon. Why sit around resigned? If I am not happy with my life, then it is up to me to change it, to improve it.

"Yet we'd rather blame and curse our fate than change. We run from everyone to hide from the pain and all the shame." Such is the natural reaction. Such is my reaction. I would rather run from a situation where I could get hurt than go through the often-painful process of changing myself. But that doesn't change the truth. In order to become a better person, I need to be less prideful and not get upset so quickly at little things.

Isn't it remarkable how man is in charge of his own destiny? My life is whatever I make of it! Will I let life's problems overwhelm me and drag me down? No! I will make the necessary changes in my life so that I can find contentment and fulfillment. "The power that will break this curse . . . is locked within myself." When life is hard, I need only reflect on this song and then I remember to set that power free.