Monday, May 4, 2009

Yo Ho (A Pirate's Life for Me)

Genre: Disney
Artist: Music by George Bruns, Lyrics by X Atencio
Album: Disney Classics Vol. V

Since I was a little kid I have loved The Pirates of the Caribbean ride at Disneyland. It has been interesting to see the changes over the years. I remember when the pirates would chase the women around the village just because they were women. Later, Disney added trays of food so that it looks like the pirates are chasing the food and not the women. This change didn't bother me like it bothered some people. Either way, it shows the endless appetite of pirates. The real changes came after the movies came out. Now Jack Sparrow appears throughout the ride, and Barbosa and Davy Jones also make an appearance. It amazes me how realistic they made Jack Sparrow.

I also remember watching the sing-along video with this song when I was a little kid. I loved watching it because I could see the ride without being at Disneyland. For that same reason, I really loved the Disneyland sing-along video. But if I remember correctly, this song was actually on the same video with the Zorro song. Either way, I have been very familiar with it since a very early age.

One of the reasons why I have always loved this ride is because I have always been fascinated with pirates. When I was a little kid in California I had major gold fever. I dreamed of finding Captain Kidd's lost treasure, most likely buried somewhere along the east coast. I loved reading about Captain Blackbeard, the hellish pirate that shot his crew members for sport. I would dress as a pirate for fun, whether or not it was Halloween and sometimes I would dig for gold in the backyard. Who knew-maybe the construction workers totally missed a gold mine while they were building our house! When I played with my Lego pirates and soldiers, I always made the pirates the good guys. As a kid, it really was a pirate's life for me!