Saturday, May 16, 2009

Chicken Farmer Song

Genre: Progressive Rock
Artist: The Flower Kings
Album: Space Revolver

This song is so much fun to listen to!!! It is very upbeat and happy and is the kind of song that automatically puts you in a good mood when it comes on. Like so many other prog songs, I first heard this at Nate's house while playing pool. I fell in love with the song instantly. I made myself a CD of "prog singles" that I could just put into the CD player and get a sample of several great songs. Chicken Farmer Song is one of my favorites when it comes on.

The song is basically about taking a break from life. Right now everybody reading this is thinking, "Ah. Gotcha. Now I know why Kevin loves this song." Yes, I do love the idea of taking a break from life. "I could use a day on my own!" That is how the song begins. "I would get away from it all-drift into the silent summer!" I would like to grace "the eternal summer." The song talks about walking out of the "darkest age" into the endless summer. Is that darkest age an actual age (like 23?) or is it a period of time, like the dark ages. Either way, it is time to step away from life's bleak obscurity and embrace all the joys life has to offer.

This song is full of great imagery. To me, summer represents childhood freedom. School is over and the months seem endless. True freedom is discovered. Whenever life gets hard and presses down on me, this song lifts me up and makes me happy. It reminds me to join the endless summer and leave the pessimism behind. I could use a day on my own. Maybe one. Maybe two. Maybe three. Maybe four. I need time to break away from the pressures of life and drink in the silent, golden summers that life has to offer. Most importantly, I need to make time in my busy schedule to live for a few minutes in the summer and walk out of my darkest age.