Sunday, April 26, 2009

Never Neverland

Genre: Broadway Musical
Artist: Music by Jule Styne, Lyrics by Comden and Green
Album: Peter Pan

I remember when my mom got the video recording of Mary Martin as Peter Pan in this Broadway musical. I must have watched that video so many times. I also remember seeing the play performed at Orem High School while my brother Danny was there. It had always been a favorite.
This song is sung shortly after Peter Pan meets Wendy and he is telling her about where he lives. What I like about this song, though, is that it doesn't refer to Neverland as a far away place that you cannot reach. "You must find it in your heart . . . It might be miles beyond the moon, or right there where you stand." That is Neverland for me. It is not a physical place that I go to (though I often wish I could). It is a mental place, an emotional place. But it is a place that is necessary for me to discover time and time again. "That's my home where dreams are born."

What is the treasure in Neverland? "You can never, never grow old." What is the key to finding Neverland? Happy thoughts! It is the sad, depressing, pessimistic thoughts that keep people grounded, including myself. It is bitterness, resentment, lack of trust, and hate that make people grow old and weary in heart. But forgiveness, love, and joy have the power to lift to a higher ground, to set one's heart one wings, and lift them above the drudgery of the world.

"I have a place where dreams are born." It is a place where I will forever be young at heart. It is a place where I find hope and encouragement. It is my own Never Neverland. It does not hide me from all bad things. Even Neverland had the wicked Captain Hook. But going to my own Neverland gives me my own pixie dust to fly, giving me the advantage over such things.