Sunday, April 12, 2009

The Rising

Genre: Religious
Artist: Jason Deere
Album: Joseph: A Nashville Tribute to the Prophet

This is definitely not a song you would hear in Sacrament Meeting, but it is great to listen to. The previous track on the CD recounts the First Vision with music playing in the background. As soon as that track ends, it immediatlely goes into The Rising. The song begins with Joseph Smith telling his mother about the vision that he had. Then he tells the preacher. As soon as he does, he sees the rising of the persectution and the great destiny before him. The chorus is the following:

The boy, the faith, the prayers, the hate
From weak things great things are rising
The love, the fear, the fire, the tears
The persectution, the spirit, the peace

That pretty much sums up the prophet's life. All these things mingle into the rising of the Church of Jesus Christ. I love other lines in the song, where Joseph says that preaching the Gospel to all nations "put a price upon our heads." They were constantly "running from darkness and running to light, praying on our knees for one more day every night." I just love how the song captures the challenges that Joseph and the early pioneers faced, and yet still they pressed forward to bring about the "restoration of all things."

I greatly admire Joseph and his courage. He is a man that dedicated his life to the Lord. I wish I could be as dedicated in my own life. It amazes me how the Gospel was central to everything that Joseph did. I often complain that I am really busy and I often feel like I do not dedicate myself to the Lord as much as I should. I need to learn to be more like Joseph. Look at all the things he had to juggle, and still the Lord took first priority in everything and was easily woven into everything that Joseph did. I am so greatful for him and his example. I know that he was called to be God's prophet in these modern times. The rising that Joseph started is still going strong, and it will until it fulfills Daniel's prophecy.