Saturday, April 4, 2009

The Power of God

Genre: Religious
Artist: Steven Kapp Perry
Album: From Cumorah's Hill

To me, this is one of the most beautiful songs on the album. It talks about the way some people see the world without God in the picture--how they see us as just an island in space. This imagery evokes a feeling of loneliness. But then in the chorus we are told that the power of God can be seen all around us, if we'll just look with the eyes of faith. I love the concluding lines of the chorus: "For how could we hope to see His face, who never could see His hand?" This song is based on Alma's statement that all things denote there is a God (Alma 30:44).

In challenging times, it is almost a natural reaction to wonder where God is. Some doubt His existence. Some fear He has abandonded us. Others continue to have faith and look for tiny miracles. I remember realizing this on my mission. When I began to look for daily miracles, I began to find them. I need to be better at that now. But I still maintain faith that if we look for those miracles in our daily lives, we will find them. These miracles are also called the Lord's tender mercies.

I remember that back when I had my paper route I would often ride my bike through parks when I was done and just enjoy being outdoors with the trees and fresh air. One of my friends started to accompany me and we would talk about a lot of things. I remember one day we were riding our bikes and talking about God and His plan. My friend mentioned how atheists do not acknowledge any of the things we were talking about. I remember pointing to a tree and saying, "Look at that tree and tell me God doesn't exist. It's impossible!" To me, nature has always been an example of God's power and love for us. When times seem hopeless and discouraging, all we need to do is take a step outside and look around us. God's creations testify that He lives and that He is aware of us. He loves us. "Listen to the wind blow, then listen once again."