Sunday, March 15, 2009

Out There

Genre: Disney
Artist: Music and Lyrics by Alan Menken and Stephen Schwartz
Album: The Hunchback of Notre Dame

This song begins with Frollo's lies to Quasimodo, promising him protection from the harsh, cruel world that would see him as nothing more than a monster. Once Frollo leaves, Quasimodo regrets the fact that he is not able to be part of the people below him. He notices the people below that shout and argue and don't enjoy the freedom they experience.

I often wonder what my life must seem like to others who might be watching me and I am not even aware of their existence. I am often bogged down by homework. I rarely have free time because I spend all of my time at work when I'm not in school. I constantly am tired and I long for a break, much like Quasimodo longed for a break from his own life. But then I think of my blessings.

First of all, I have not one job, but two! I literally have a few thousand dollars saved up just in preparation for marriage, not including money I have set aside for school, Disneyland trips, etc. The fact that I can go to Disneyland so often when I know of many good, wonderful people who will never have the chance to go in their entire lives. On top of that, both of my employers are wonderful! Dana, at the MTC, is a very understanding boss who takes a personal interest in the lives of his workers and does what he can to help them. Christy, at Deseret Book, is very dedicated to her job, quick with her wit and humor, and always makes herself available if I have a concern. She is also quick to praise any extraordinary performance.

Work aside, I also get to go to BYU! I also know of many people who do not have that opportunity that would like it. Some consider themselves lucky to go to any college at all. I have a car that gets me to places faster. It works wonderfully, even though the carpet inside is ripped up, there are slashes in my door, the "check engine" light never goes off even when I take my car in, and even though my CD player's quality isn't good. I still have a car! And it still has a CD player! I also have many friends! No matter where I go, there is almost always someone I can talk to.

With so many blessings, I need to be sure that I am not like the people Quasimodo observed who were "heedless of the gift it is to be them." My life can be hard, sure. But it is a great gift to be me. It is a great gift to be alive. I must treasure every instant, just as Quasimodo would if he were "out there" living my life.