Sunday, March 8, 2009

Hakuna Matata

Genre: Disney
Artist: Music and Lyrics by Elton John and Tim Rice
Album: The Lion King

This is another song that takes me back to my high school days. Me and Kat Dillenbeck used to walk down the middle of the street at night singing this at the top of our lungs. Ha ha, what fun memories! I remember one time we were singing it as we walked by the local junior high school and the sprinklers were on. She suggested, as a joke, that we run through the sprinklers. I said, "Hakuna Matata!" and ran straight into the jet-stream of water. I was soaked, but it was so much fun!

Around the same time I was in the play "Much Ado about Nothing" at ALLC. I was playing Verges. My director, Eldon, decided to depict my character as Igor. Dr. Frankenstein's assistant. I loved my character so much that I would often walk with a limp and a hunched shoulder. One night, while I was acting in character, Kat told me to run and hop over a fence. I began to run across the street and tripped over my own legs (due to running with a limp) that I fell face forward into the asphalt. I got up laughing. Ah, what carefree nights! Whenever I listen to this song, I cannot help but go back to those days and smile.