Monday, July 13, 2009

Is Anybody There?

Genre: Broadway Musical
Artist: Sherman Edwards
Album: 1776

This song is the culmination of John Adams's struggle as he fights for American independence. Throughout the play he is constantly arguing with Congress and meets obstacles almost at every turn. The final obstacle is the South, who refuses to vote in favor of independence unless they are permitted to continue the slave trade. When the South walks out of the room, Adams feels alone and helpless. In desperation, he sings, "Is anybody there? Does anybody care? Does anybody see what I see?" Then he tells what he sees: a vision for America!

"Through all the gloom I can see the rays of ravishing light and glory!" He describes the glory of the scene and then concludes, "I see Americans, all Americans free!" He then ends asking again, "Does anybody see what I see?"

Fortunately, others did see what he saw. American independence was won. I am so grateful to live in a country where I am free, where I can worship as I please, where I can say what I want, and where I have the potential to be anything I desire to be. I am so grateful to live in a country where the Gospel could be restored. I am grateful for the men and women who still see what John Adams saw. I refer to those men and women both home and abroad who protect our freedom. May John Adams's vision never fade from our eyes!