Monday, June 8, 2009

Remember Dreams Come True

Genre: Disney
Artist: Various
Album: Well, apparently it doesn't matter because I can't find a picture of it, but it's a Disneyland CD, I promise!

I don't know if you can really count this as a song, but I will anyway! It's at least a track on a CD. This was Disney's last fireworks show, and I can't think of a more perfect tribute to Disneyland. First of all, Julie Andrews hosts the fireworks show. She talks about Walt Disney and how he had a dream, a dream that came true and that has blessed millions of people. She talks about our heroes that he brought to life for us, such as Peter Pan, Aladdin, the Little Mermaid, and more. As she talks about these things, Tinkerbell flies above the castle. Then, we relive the dream as clips from most of the rides at Disneyland are played and fireworks match them. One of my favorites is during Pirates of the Caribbean, They play the part where the pirate ship is attacking the fort, and each time you hear the sound of a cannon being fired, fireworks shoot overhead as if they were cannon balls. It's great!

I saw this show for the first time with my family, when we went back in 2006. I went back in 2007 with Nate and we only watched half of it. It was too windy, so they canceled the show halfway through. But in 2008, something happened that made that year an unforgetable Disneyland experience! I walked up to a cast member and asked her if they were going to cancel the show, because I could see a little wind. She said that she wasn't sure and asked if we had seen it before. I explained that I had, but Nate had only seen half of it. She told us to a wait a moment while she talked to her supervisor. She came back and told us she got permission to make us VIPs. We got to sit on a bench where we had a perfect view of the show. A cast member also offered to take a picture of us, which he did. The fireworks show was NOT canceled and it was a very magical way to end the day.

Although this specific show has been canceled, I will never forget that experience and the wonderful fun I had that year and every year at Disneyland. Just as the message of the fireworks show teaches, I believe that dreams come true.